I'd love to hear from you

email me at charliesewingvintage@googlemail.com

Monday 12 July 2010

Waspy Waist & Circle Skirt

What could be more 50s than a big poofy circle skirt. I designed and drafted this myself but those of you in the know will know (of course) that that is not as impressive as it sounds. For those of you not in the know this is simple geometry: take your waist measurement and divide by 6.28; this gets you the radius of the inner  circle of your skirt and from this you can draft a pattern. If you want to give this a go there's a great tutorial on Ruffles and Roses although I would urge caution with the instruction to measure your waist and then -4. I did this and ended up with a skirt I can only wear with a waist cincher and if I do another I won't deduct the 4 inches - the explanation on R and R is that this accounts for stretching of the fabric on the bias at the waistband. I staystitched the waistband to eliminate this problem but ended up with a waspy waist!

The photographs don't do this fabric any justice at all. The is a deep purple with a lime green dot and it's fabulous!

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh!!! YOU ARE THE ONE of the Sew Retro blog!!! I've tryed several times to get in touch with you because I would like to post some of my sewing but I never get a reply!! I can't belive you just cliked the "follow" button in my blog!!! THANKS!!
    AH! I LOVE your skirt, the color is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh thanks for the tip on how to get the radius! I've tried several times to get this right, and they always end up too big or too small.
    I can't wait to give it a try! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. how beautiful! I'd love to learn to make this one day :D L x

    ReplyDelete